A letter to the Legates

Started by Blue41, July 29, 2024, 03:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue41

[A letter arrives at the office of Legates Saenus and Argyris.]

Legates,

For the sake of clarity, as much can be lost, misinterpreted and unheard by the bellows, I wished to pass along the Legion's thoughts on the proposed legal revisions, transcribed below:

Legal Revisions dictated by Marcellus Saenus, Scribed by Jaecop de Clercq
]
QuoteMurder:
A Person found guilty of killing, or planning to kill, another Person for any reason other than self-defense has commited Murder. Capital.

Assault:
A person found guilty of harming, or conspiring to harm another person without causing or intending mortal injury for any reason other than self-defense has committed Assault.
Minor: Unarmed
Serious: Armed, or Magical Assault.
Those who fight primarily with fists or feet are considered armed for the purpose of judging the crime.
Capital: Maiming via the intentional and deliberate removal or destruction of body parts or organs.

Theft:
A person found guilty of attempting to steal the effects of another person, organization or governing body has committed Theft. Minor to Capital.
Minor: Under 250 dinars of effects.
Serious: Between 250 dinars to 2,500 dinars of effects.
Capital: Above 2,500 dinars of effects.

Vandalism:
A person found guilty of destroying, attempting to destroy, or diminishing the value of the effects or property of another person, organization, or governing body, has committed Vandalism.
Minor: Under 250 dinars of damages {Includes spitting}
Serious: Between 250 dinars and 2,500 dinars worth of damages.
Capital: Above 2,500 dinars worth of damages.

Kidnapping:
A person found guilty of unlawfully abducting or holding captive another person against their will has committed Kidnapping. Serious.

Slavery:
A person found guilty of forcing or compelling another person to work without pay, or work against their will absent conscription, or otherwise claiming physical ownership of them has committed Slavery. Capital: Practicing Slavery, or owning a slave.
[close]

Murder needs to change. Today. It should be applied to everyone, regardless of their citizenship. I am familiar with Legate Argyris' belief that there must be some distinction between the Voiced and the Voiceless. I happen to agree. I believe that our Legion would have much less to deal with-- during wartime-- than to worry about chasing every idiot who steals another idiot's purse or breaking up bar fights that spill into the Well and issuing fines. I don't care about broken statues or shattered signs. Kidnapping in itself is often a prelude to a crime of greater consequence-- brooking, murder, worse-- so change it if you like. Slavery is condemned in the eyes of Baz'eel and should be changed as well.

But I return to my first point. Murder needs to be changed-- or reverted, I care not. The Wroth will not be denied His due because we believe we can put a price on a man's life. Bicker and bargain over the rest of the laws as you like, as you prefer-- but Murder needs to be changed. I cannot state this enough. Come to an agreement, get this done. Please.

Lt. R. Colmes
Warmaster