Hoensbroeck's 'Dinarcracy, or Democracy?'

Started by Hierophant, July 25, 2024, 05:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hierophant

Ephia's Well: Dinarcracy, or Democracy?
Penned by Barend Hoensbroeck

Quote from: ...

Since my coming to Ephia's Well, I have observed the politics and day to day proceedings intently. In fitting retrospect, I have dubbed it a Dinarcracy for all levels of government are upheld by Baz'eeli traditions such as bribery.

A Voice, a station of respect in this city, now costs 15,000 dinar as one fine example. Some have taken to calling it the Citizen's Tax, or the War Tax, and perhaps more romantically, the Dragon's Tax.

With that being said, a cycle unveils itself plainly. Two Legates reign in Ephia's Well, elected by those Voices who have afforded the right to do so and own property. Often these electors are bound to a political league. My own affiliation is to the League of White.

A League chooses its candidate based off a Primary that lasts nearly as long as the Official, and while all three Leagues boast varying values and perspectives on how one ought to conduct themselves while flying their colors, the heaviest coin purse is surely to win the heaviest favors.

When Legates are in power, all thoughts seem to flow upon the treasured and perplexing ideas of income, and how the coffers shall be filled. Where to trade water for sustenance, for wealth, for affluence. Furthermore, if an opposing League rises to power after a tenure, it seems to be the sole aim of the new government to undo and unravel what has been established, albeit with rare exceptions. This leads to the great Revolving Door, and afterward, the Great Stagnation.

As a playwright, I am envious of the sheer gravitas involved in this mockery of Asterabadi's dream. Such a vague and precious thing. A direction that which provokes thought in one's self and one's neighbor, let alone one's city and home ought to be a troubling one indeed for no good comes so easy. True democracy can be established and prosper, if only the willful set themselves to task and place their heart in the work.

We must applaud ourselves, if we have made it this far as Outlanders; it means we are tough, and we have endured. Then too do I know well we've hailed from darker straits, and far less liberal. Indeed, I once paid fealty to a petty lord, and I'm certain many of you have. I am not so keen nor eager to return such lauded things I have cast aside, even so if out of my will. Will we bow so easily, after the heights we had reached once?

Some have arisen from those disparate ashes greedier than before; having seen what could've been, having been so close to death's door, why not want for more? Others, though, have adopted a more stoic approach. A sensible approach. How does one sleep at night with his coffers overflowing, when the impoverished stomach growls in the night outside your door?

There appear to be some pre-ordained paths a great many some ones have dictacted Ephia's Well must strive for; of the three, they are often aspirations sponsored by the three political Leagues.

One would be for Ephian delegates to work towards expanding the Sultan's sphere of influence and authority in the city and its surrounding regions, and to govern not as 'Ephia', but as 'Baz'eel'. Just one of a dozen satrapies loyal to the great House al-Maribid. Through subservience, these beliefs stem from the belief that by serving as vassal and not reformer, seeking autonomy for his city (but not independence; the conjoined belief that community is the heart of our future, of civilization itself, and that the larger a sphere of life, the more fortunate we all become), their own career, or the reputation of their name or family, shall be uplifted and reach metaphorical heights beyond the walls of Ephia's Well. The sole belief that the focus must be Baz'eel; Ephia's Well is but one part of Baz'eel.

As a scholar, and as a critic both, I cannot find due purpose beyond that in the League of Purple. This may be due to the fact that I am still new to Ephia's Well myself, and so these are a critic's opinions and provocative thought that have made my pensive mind elated to discuss with friend and colleague. This is, after all, my home now.

Secondly would be the path of industry and metropolitan ambitions, of trade and of commerce. Of craftsmen and pioneers, those with minds set solely on the future. That which is impossible, made possible by mortal hand. Ephia's Well is after all the holy site of a B'aaran miracle; the flowing of the Water. Said to bear the healing properties of the Goddess of Water herself, and I have both witnessed and experienced it myself. I feel closer to the Gods of these lands, closer than I ever was to those Old Gods that had abandoned my people.

So why can Ephia's Well not be a site of more miraculous things? The City of Prayers, where they are answered thus by the clarion calls of progress. The League of Gold stand for a great many thing, and of them I do find myself in alignment at times of doubt. Alas, my heart is one and true with the League of White, for my heart was long ago stolen by the woes of the people. It never ceases to ache for their plight, and I have ever striven to uplift them since my arrival, limited as my wealth may be.

Which brings us to our Third path, the path of accepting that we have not chosen the path of riches, or the path of glory, but the path of a sighing heart, relieved that its patron may sit soundly in calm and peace, and raise a family behind tall, strong walls; built by Ephian hands, with Ephian heart. The path of unity, of humility, and of humanity; a thing found not just in mankind, but in all living things. We describe this sensation as empathy for our fellow, and after the Great Calamity, we must never waver from uplifting our fellow indeed. We are the vanguard of hope and courtesy, of culture and cuisine, of smiles and hard work. But that now brings us to the conclusion of this article, upon the revelation of our Democracy; how is it, that a League might envision its purpose, humble and uncaring of dinar as it is, in this Dinarcracy?

How then, will the future of this city be in the people's hands?

The hands of those who would live and die for its walls?

Of those with little sleep, nightmares fluttering in their trying of a time before these walls of Ephia, fleeing from clouds of blackish doom?

They cannot. Not truly, not with the heart needed for the work involved, in seeing this honest Republic risen proud as the Heron that soars its wings for her.

So the answer is thus that we have need to put greater and more sensible thought into the procuring of citizenship; that we must abolish the signage of Voiced and call it as it  is; Citizen of Ephia's Well. That it involve not dinar but diligence, not bribery but commitment. Not contract, but trust.

So what will it be, Ephia's Well? Dinarcracy, or Democracy?

Thank you for reading.
How long, Catiline, will you continue to abuse our patience?