Euris Duprance's journal

Started by Draugir, July 22, 2024, 03:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draugir

I arrived to the well last evening. I suppose it's as good a settlement as any. It does worry me that we are so many refugees. I think there will be a lot of hands, ready to lift heavy stuff. I'm used to some competition, but this looks like it's going to get rough. Luckily there are other things I can earn some dinars from. I don't want to live from pest control, but I guess it's a solid wage to do worming.

Also I'm used to guards being well, rotten. At least some of those I've encountered in the past have been assholes, some have been decent sorts. But yesterday a janissary decided to throw a gnome in the stocks and threw camel shit at him. The gnome's crime? To forget to register properly. I'm sure this gnome have now been inspired to respect the janissaries, with them showing such wise behavior.

Draugir

I tried making a living by worming, but all they paid my for my hard work were grinding stones and coffee. How's one to survive from that? I ended up joining some warriors for boardwork. It wasn't as bad as I feard but it's a terrible feeling, killing humans - thinking individuals that have chosen to occuppy a granary and instead of fleeing when my group attacked them, they fought till the end. Sure, they were bandits but it feels bad to put a sword through a man's chest and watch him taking his dying breath. I try to tell myself that he would have done the same to me, had he had the chance.

Later we went to some monoliths where kobolds were apparently aplenty. My companions said it would be an easy haul so I ended up coming along and we managed, but it wasn't without some struggles. Most of our attack went pretty smoothly, but when we came near the end, the number of kobolds had gathered up. One of my companions charged ahead and was knocked unconscious. The rest of us withdrew and managed to actually defeat the kobolds. This lady had said it would be so easy to fight the kobolds and yet she was the one biting the dust? She even told me I should consider taking the backline, when I was the only one who didn't suffer major wounds in that assault? I guess I do have more to learn, but still. I hope I can find other ways to make a living than killing things for gold.

Draugir

So I tried to sit through one of these famed trials in the well. Thought it was best to see the justice system in person. What a bore. Apparently the janissaries believed some man to be a necromancer. They had found three suspicious items in his possession - one of them was a key which we all should just know was suspicious I guess? I sat listening for a long time, but it seems there were no specific evidence which makes me wonder - was the janissaries just too incompetent to get proper proof or was the law just too demanding? I have no idea but it certainly wasn't for me. I left the hall before the sentence was carried out. There's a motivator to never get in trouble with the law. You'd have to sit at one of these boring trials.

Over all, I've had a decent stay in the Well but it's time to leave. I haven't found the kind of work I hoped for. Sure it's decent pay to do boardwork and worming is just a source of income you'll never run out of. But I don't want to live my life as a mercenary. It's time to find a caravan to get to Baz'eel. People have said the city is barred off but surely they must have need of servants. It's best to see for myself instead of just remaining here.

It's been good fighting alongside Hilda and the others. I do regret purchasing a machinist's license just before leaving but maybe it's best to throw it out when I'm sure I can gain entrance to the Golden City.