baublium for upper sendings

Started by The Crimson Magician, May 13, 2017, 03:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Crimson Magician

just a suggestion to make sendings from upper take one baublium to use just like the other sending systems.

some reasons I think it could be a good idea:
-makes sense IC since finding baub is usually more valuable than 10 gp
-encourages more PC to PC interactions instead of substitute dogmatic statements made over sending system
-increases value of IG resource as well as messages made over sending system
-maybe encourage other parts of the server for PC congregation apart from Freedom Square

Charnelist

Maybe if all of us knew how to get baublium from week to week. As it is this would become (for me):
*Needs to make a sending... considers spending the next 3 hours baublium hunting. No.... considers making a sending asking if anyone has any baublium to share so he can... wait, no... tries to find PC's willing to give up baublium for a sending.....*
And I don't think that would turn out well. :)

The Crimson Magician

I think the above situation would create some interesting role play situations and reward resourceful or aggressive PCs which could help raise IC conflict just by putting a small cost on an essentially free messaging service

anyway, just a thought

Silence

This seems like something that could be pursued in-character by a Council fed up with SENDING WARS. Food for thought.

For the time being, it is so cheap because it is part of the infrastructure of the city and the alternate methods are so expensive because they are the bootleg alternatives that random monsters or madmen use without needing to be "normal, respectable people." Sometimes being a pariah on the outskirts of civilizations has its downsides. No access to plumbing, guard forces, public communication systems...

Decimate_The_Weak

I agree with this 100%.

If finding baublium is a concern, introduce it in higher quantities to more loot tables as quest rewards and from searchable placeables.

I prefer less automated interaction to begin with. Anything that promotes that gets a thumbs up from me.

Haer Dalis 83

Gods please no. I already have little time to play, take away sendings and I would have 0 chance to ever call for someone, organize an expedition or reach more than 2 people for each session I log in

Random_White_Guy

I disagree with this. While I hate the increase of dogmatic sendings the problem falls on the PC populace, not the sending system.

I've seen a lot of really, really cool Priests attempt to hold Sermons and do actual church related RP during a time there was a full square. They were invited to either the Street of the Gods or elsewhere and people just ignored it the second there was some big quest sending.

Clerical PCs calling for a Sermon, political PCs calling for a speech, it can be disheartening to have 1-2 PCs show up for your crowd while there's 10 people wanting to do the quest train of the day in the square.

I know for instance I quit doing sermons on my Clerical PCs for this reason. It's just not fun to try and organize people and having it result in being ignored for questing - and sendings are something harder to ignore.

Also EFU is still a pretty large server. Even if Baublium was introduced to the loot table more you'd be left with people wandering around unable to find anyone to do anything with which really reduces the fun to play. Sendings draw people in from IRC, from elsewhere in meetings in the Game world, and otherwise affairs.
[11:23 PM] Howlando: Feel free LealWG
[11:23 PM] Howlando: I'll give you a high five + fist bump tip

[1:34 AM] BigOrcMan: RwG, a moment on the lips, forever on the hips

flyer

the suggestion is not to take sendings away from PCs, but to make them take one baublium with the idea behind it being that sendings will be more valuable and important due to an actual resource cost and not just open mic night. I'd be in favor of allowing association PCs or gov. PCs to use favor/etc they gain to pay for sendings also.

an alternative could be to just increase the gold cost of sendings

Starstruck

Ten gold is universally easy to acquire. If this was changed, a lot of things would suffer IC -- calling for meetings, arranging quest groups, communicating with people who are abroad, getting the word out to people who might not be in Sanctuary at the time, etc. The server doesn't have a large enough playerbase to function properly without a cheap sending system. Changing that ten gold requirement to a baublium requirement would severely inhibit the ability for people to communicate IC and it would probably just pour into IRC with OOC PM's for quests or people making OOC 'sendings' in IRC letting people know they're doing a quest.

Besides, I really don't like reintroducing the "we need baublium!" plot of Sanctuary.

-maybe encourage other parts of the server for PC congregation apart from Freedom Square
I actually think this would drastically increase if we didn't have a sending system; people would be even more prone to 'square sit' while waiting for something to happen.

Saturnalia

On a personal note with inconsistent playtimes it is already difficult enough to get a group together as is. Their is already a baubilium based sending system and with the end of lower sendings people don't seem to be using it for a reason. Baubilium is not particularly abundant, and getting to places where you can find it is also difficult especially if you don't have a group.

I absolutely love going to the Lower/Mycopolis and running into players, it really adds life to the server. I also understand the need for players to have a central location to congregate to ease grouping, but that seems to put more emphasis on the quest-crush-loot aspect of EFU than the RP and story development.

I don't know what a solution would be, but I don't think that a major change like this would help.

crapper_scrapper

Having it accept baublium as well as gold might be cool, perhaps also a scrap token like the tramways tokens from the workmill.

Saturnalia

I like the workmill token idea a lot.