Letter to Rennik Colmes

Started by Ahmet, September 26, 2024, 09:28:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ahmet

Lieutenant Colmes,

I've done all I can for you. Your inaction has necessitated I make some decisions of my own.

We have to talk. Swing by my office when you've the time.

Respectfully yours,
Ahmet Yildirim

Blue41

[Attached to the reply is a badge bearing insignia of the League of White.]

Legate,

There was never any inaction. What I needed from you was to resist-- to stand against the pressure of your Cinquefoil Rose, as your Magistrate did. One more day. I explained to both you and your Legate what was at stake.

There is much that can be done with the approval of both Legates, and much that can be done with a split decision. You've given away what leverage remained, and for that, you have His Eye upon you, Legate. Toss the Ash.

We will speak, as we must. But there is nothing left to resolve here. We can only decide the scope of the damage at this point.

Lt. R. Colmes
Warmaster

Ahmet

Lieutenant Colmes,

I've elected to give them money instead of taking away your position as general. I don't want the Banda directing the theater of war. I hope you'll appreciate this, even if it means I'm giving you more work and more responsibility.

I also fought, and won, on getting a law passed to ban Accorded Magistrates and Accorded title-holders (with a wage paid for by the people's treasury) in all capacities. I hope you'll appreciate this.

I'm still working to pass the rest of my reformations. It won't be easy.

I've sent a letter to the Bey. It went as well as you'd expect. He said he's willing to let him go if we work a plan to save Grimes without a trial, without threatening "the peace of Ephia's Well", and without "the war effort being imperiled". We're going to have to think of something, fast.

Plainly, it's my fault that I failed to communicate my intentions to you beforehand. The Bey rightly chastised me on this. If I did, I bet we wouldn't be in this mess now. For that, I'm sorry.

Respectfully yours,
Ahmet Yildirim

Blue41

Legate Yildirim,

Apology's accepted, but I'm afraid the situation's changed in the matter of Grimes. This goes beyond a matter of politics and the maneuvering associated with it. It is also a matter of the Wheel, and the Wroth. We can speak more on that in person...but if the M---- are allowed to march with our armies, we will need to avert whatever misfortune we can.

I say this only to make clear that you should avoid making any more concessions in the pursuit of saving him from his fate. I'll speak with Grimes myself.

Lt. R. Colmes
Warmaster

Blue41

Legate,

You promised me communication, and in a similar spirit, I grant you the same. They're calling for you to step down, and under the circumstances, I'm not sure I disagree. This role you're in is a demanding one, and with no one to check your co-Legate, that task falls to me. The rank, more than anything else-- and I can't be there for every conversation, or every attempt. If your Prelate can be about more often than you, then empower her, if you trust her. I assume that you do.

Your goals, your ambitions, your ideals-- they hold only as much weight and importance as your presence, and the ability to bring them into existence. If you cannot see it done, allow someone else to try-- or they will be ash on the wind. More importantly, we stand at a critical point in our conflict with Iakmes, and this Well needs both its leaders.

Lt. R. Colmes