Treatise on Healer's Oath

Started by Karwelas, October 31, 2023, 02:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karwelas

[This Treatise is written upon the scroll and delivered to the library of College one evening, by tired, but pleasantly smiling student with red hair.]

Treatise on Healer's Oath
by Student Alecto Hadwyn-Zagar of Green Tassel

Three Patrons of Healers: The Mother - B'aara, The Magi - Izdu, The Wyld - Kula

Becoming a medical professional is a challenging feat for many individuals.  Young students often face immense pressure, stemming from academic expectations, social demands and familial obligations, which could negatively impact both mental health and academic performance. It is imperative to recognise and manage this pressure effectively. The education system should also offer the necessary support and resources to aid students in navigating these challenges.

However, the potential ramifications for a student's mental and physical health of losing a patient and experiencing a sense of failure are numerous. What often impacts a student's sense of responsibility is the Healer's Oath. It mentally and spiritually prepares individuals for the immense responsibility they will assume as surgeons, healers, and doctors.

Healer's Oath:

I swear by B'aara, The Mother of Healers, and Izdu, Well of Wisdom and Kula, the Green of Paradise Promised and all The Wheel as my Witness, that, according to my ability and judgement, I will keep this Oath and this contract:

To hold them who taught me this art equally dear to me as my parents, to be a partner in life with them, and to fulfill their needs when required; to look upon their offspring as equals to my own siblings, and to teach them this art, if they shall wish to learn it, without fee or contract; and that by the set rules, lectures, and every other mode of instruction, I will impart a knowledge of the art and those of my teachers to students bound by this contract and having sworn this Oath to the law of medicine, but to no others.

I will use those dietary regimens which will benefit my patients according to my greatest ability and judgement, and I will do no harm or injustice to them.

I will not give a lethal drug to anyone if I am asked, nor will I advise such a plan; break not the law of hospitality under any circumstances, but danger to my own life.

In purity and according to divine law will I carry out my life and my art.

I will not use the knife, even upon those suffering from stones, but I will leave this to those who are trained in this craft.

Into whatever homes I go, I will enter them for the benefit of the sick, avoiding any voluntary act of impropriety or corruption, including the deeds of body.

Whatever I see or hear in the lives of my patients, whether in connection with my professional practice or not, which ought not to be spoken of outside, I will keep secret, as considering all such things to be private.

So long as I maintain this Oath faithfully and without corruption, may it be granted to me to partake of life fully and the practice of my art, gaining the respect of all people for all time. However, should I transgress this Oath and violate it, may the Eye of Urazzir settle upon me and deliver punishment adequate to my transgressions.

May it be so.

The oath illustrates the challenges faced by healers, such as responsibility and being accountable to divine patrons for their successes and failures. However, one may be surprised by the extensive amount of moral guidance embedded in the oath, particularly if they lack sufficient training in the profession. Healers possess numerous possibilities to cause harm to their clients and breach their trust, even more so than certain assassins may desire, thus emphasizing the importance of the final part of the oath.

By swearing ourselves into judgement by the Wroth, one knows that betraying the oath will have consequences, both divine and profane. The legal system ensures that such individuals do not evade punishment, with prison terms that often stretch for several years, and in the most severe cases, may lead to execution or exile.

There is also significance in the camaraderie among medical students and practitioners - although conflicts are inevitable, professionalism and the preservation of patients' lives and health should be our top priority.  We cannot permit personal emotions and affiliations, especially those of a personal or political nature, to obscure our judgement and commitment to aiding others.

There is no need to delve deeply into the laws of purity and divine assistance of the Wheel in our work. When assisting those who do not share our faith, we must follow our own laws and judgments and aid them, even in the face of hostility or ridicule. This is the burden of responsibility.

It is acceptable to feel anxious and fatigued at times, my esteemed colleagues. We are human, yet we must bear in mind the magnitude of responsibility that lies upon us. In this text, readers can gain insight that may provide both strength and relief. High-level language is consistent with formal register and technical vocabulary is used when it conveys meaning more precisely. And if you are not a member of our group, please note that this text provides further understanding into the role of healers. Show respect to your doctor and provide them with the necessary space and tranquillity to complete their work, even in dire circumstances.

As healers, we must always pursue knowledge, according to The Mage's laws. Our goal is to combat diseases and illnesses afflicting people's bodies and minds. Research is vital, as is sharing our findings openly. Knowledge withholding may cause loss of life and transgress the oath we took - it cannot be tolerated. Even in the darkest night of ignorance, we must endeavour to uncover the light of medicine and disseminate it across other medical professionals and areas.

Do not fear, even if you feel the lack of graditude and respect from others - they often won't understand weight placed upon you. From the tallest mansions to the deepest tunnels, there is always lack of knowledge and understanding to encounter. Accept it and move on - do not dwell upon it, for your brothers and sisters in medicine shall know your sacrifice.

Do not attempt disciplines for which you lack proper training, such as surgical procedures - the potential damage to the body is truly alarming. Accept your limitations and work towards enhancing your expertise in areas where you lack sufficient knowledge. Learning never truly ends.

I hope this concise text provides valuable insight, delivered objectively and following academic writing principles, for it is close to my heart. May the Three of Healing bless us and our efforts.

Alecto Zagar, student of Sandstone College.
Current character: Ealdred Emberheart, the burned hin.