Damage Immunity - Disable in Certain Circumstances

Started by One_With_Nature, September 23, 2024, 11:26:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

One_With_Nature

Similar to evasion, disable DI when you are stunned/disabled. It will really only a big impact on barbarians and I think its a reasonable weakness to have given how high people can get DI this chapter.

Egon the Monkey

Yeah, I think that's a good idea. It also fits with 'disabling Barbarian DI in heavy Armour'.
Barbarians seem to have picked up a lot of always-on passive abilities with no counter.

I'd limit it to Physical DI or the Barbarian abilities though, or what happens is you get Stunned and your Polarisation falls off. Which is wierd.

Damien

Feels like that makes no sense. Evasion does because you cannot move, but DI? That's you and/or your literal equipment.

One_With_Nature

I was just thinking while you are disabled etc people can just hit you in your weak spots if you need a reasoning.

Egon the Monkey

Yeah this definitely feels like a 'fun gameplay is more important than my headcanon for how DI works' change. You can always invent your own narrative justification for the purely mechanical DI. There's no narrative explanation on the Ranger page for why knowing how to kill Dragons better makes you take 5% less shanking. it just happens.

And it could be limited to say, some of the innate DI perks. You still get the rest of your gear etc, but it's a way to push a character onto the back foot with good use of spells or supply, and make people more wary in PvE.

For example:
Quote"Barbarian DI is all about adrenaline and ignoring pain. If you're stunned, you lose your momentum and focus, and are temporarily overwhelmed by the pain of your injuries"

Quote"DI is as much about rolling with the punches as it is about taking one straight to your iron jaw. You can't roll with the punches if you're too busy coughing your lungs up from a gas attack"

putrid_plum

Honestly I think barbarian should only gain their class ability DI in light armor.  Allow them to wear any armor  if they want but they only gain the DI from the gear at that point. 

It's a bit absurd they can get 40-50% DI plus elemental DI plus an extra feat at level 5 plus all the other barbarian perks like huge hp and rage.

VanillaPudding

I don't think this is the right adjustment to make for a core class feature. I'd prefer it was just capped at 30% or something myself.