Make Priority quests permadeath

Started by I love cats, August 14, 2024, 07:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I love cats

The rewards on priority quests are way too good in terms of XP and GP. I think there should be some serious risk involved. To this I suggest they be made permadeath. I know this suggestion will be lacking in popularity but I feel like it would bring some honor to the server.

Providence

Permadying on a quest isn't exactly super exciting or narratively satisfying.

I do think the rewards are very high to help players that don't get to play a lot keep up and have fun too. But it also means those that have a lot of time get a lot more much faster now.

I think, but don't stone me, that it could be okay to just have them give double instead of triple? But it would kinda defeat the point of catch up.

Legebril

Priority kwesting revitalized board jobs which is great, however I agree that there should be some more balance to it.
If those become permadeath nobody will do them and as mentioned before would defeat the point of having them at all.

My suggestion here is to make priority only lvl 10 max kwests so that groups would need to be better organized and supplied for the run - meaning spending some of that extra gold for blurings etc.

Another way to do it would be, as stated above, make it x2 AND increase overall XP gain from other quests to make them more appealing to both regular questers and people that want to catch up during weekends.

Pandip

sometimes it's cool to just accept nice things

Ioannes

Some people have lives outside of EFU. From what I understand, priority quests were introduced to give an option to people who don't have endless hours to sink into the server but can still make progress despite that. I think it should remain that way.

MAGIC

I'd be in favor of the XP bonus on priority quests being 3x for level 1-8 pcs, 2x for level 9+ pcs. That is the level of the pc, not the max level of the quest.

Random_White_Guy

Quote from: I love cats on August 14, 2024, 07:55:31 PMThe rewards on priority quests are way too good in terms of XP and GP. I think there should be some serious risk involved. To this I suggest they be made permadeath. I know this suggestion will be lacking in popularity but I feel like it would bring some honor to the server.

To drift this back more onto the focus of the topic I think it'd be cool to just add more permadeath content as a risk it for the biscuit type approach rather than hijacking the Priority questing.

Luca Ferra has it's partial, there was the project underway in the Ashways, adding some more Ring 64 style Bang for your Buck style Quests with highest stakes and highest rewards I think would be cool.

The issue comes when that kind of things gets 'Known' by PCs and then they can routinely hit it like other quests but I feel like this chapter with its focus on high adventure could certainly rock this kind of content.

Your band of adventurers want to make a real name for themselves? This isn't rote lowerboard work, this is a step into the "major leagues" - risk it all, but if you pull it off... the fortunes and legends await~.

You can't make it to Baz'eel protecting goats, laddy.. Clear this legendary job and you can ride off into the sunset, or use your fortunes to massively influence politics, or etc.

A few ideas-

Quote- Deep Kulkund Push or The Haunted Hallls of Got Valdzhar

- Ship into the Maelstrom (Similar to the old Kobolds 2/Lizardfolk boat raid but on steroids)

- High Risk job for the Il Modo Inspecta against FD Red Plague Outbreak (Fail and you get stricken with leperous death get your affairs in order)

- Free Captured Slaves from a Qa'imish Laboratory (Get caught and you're added to the roster of qa'imish subjects)

- The Consulate needs you to infiltrate a foreign city and remove a threat to the Sultanate. Survive and you may gain passage to Baz'eel, or trade it for fortunes. Fail and you will be disavowed.

Granted it's easier to throw idea darts than build quests. But I don't think changing the Priority system is the way to do it if you want to see more permadeath content.
[11:23 PM] Howlando: Feel free LealWG
[11:23 PM] Howlando: I'll give you a high five + fist bump tip

[1:34 AM] BigOrcMan: RwG, a moment on the lips, forever on the hips

Octarine

Quote from: MAGIC on August 20, 2024, 03:41:53 PMI'd be in favor of the XP bonus on priority quests being 3x for level 1-8 pcs, 2x for level 9+ pcs. That is the level of the pc, not the max level of the quest.

This seems like a really good way to do it.

VanillaPudding

It's fine and, as stated, brought a little life back into the world. Leave it as is as it clearly boosted player count and activity.

Vlaid

One change I'd suggest is that you can only get the priority bonus once a reset. If the intent is just to be a catch up/less time mechanism it makes sense more than just hammering the priority quest every 10 hours. Otherwise feels fairly good as it is (for people like me).
[url=https://www.efupw.com/forums/index.php?topic=706473.msg747918#msg747918]The Entirely True Legends of Velan Volandis[/url]

Damien

I agree with vlaid and vp, it's a god send for people who cannot play much (me) and has definitely increased the player count and made things more entertaining.

I do also agree though there isn't much risk except outside of Luca, Orc fortress was great at this too, which worries me a bit because then everyone is then on the same level, which then means you can just rush to level 8 in 3 days and just kill that one year old equally powerful pc, which I don't think is intentional.

Also side not related but can people please stop ooc recruiting their friends, especially when they aren't even online yet. I've even seen people log off one character to log into another character to come quest. It's wildly dumb.

NeedForGreed

Making them permadeath does not make them more narratively satisfying, and imo is a huge detriment to RP.

Personally, I view Priority Quests as a way to be efficient with my time so that I can RP more and grind less. The extra xp/gold is not remotely good enough to make it worthwhile, and IMO permadeath for some extra mechanical power is about as RP unfriendly as you can get.

The truly permadeath content has an air of prestige and excitement about it, it is serious, it is recognized as seriously dangerous IC.

Most people don't have to do powerbuilds to get through content, I would like to keep it that way.