Hoensbroeck's 'Communique on Interleague Tension: The Downfall of Unity'

Started by Hierophant, August 02, 2024, 06:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hierophant

Quote from: Commentary by Barend HoensbroeckCommunique on Interleague Tension: The Downfall of Unity
Penned by Barend Hoensbroeck

Preface
Allow me to begin by extrapolating words I shall be using often in this treatise, or rather terms. 'Interleague', 'Unity', 'Downfall'. The premise of this text, the intentions are clear; to remind the people of Ephia's Well that the Asterabadian Experiment is quite young.

To say one must be forged in the fires of Primary, or the loud debates of the Voiced Assembly, before one understands politics or bears a semblance of chance at success is, to myself and perhaps to myself alone, a very backwards and unfair assessment. Unfair because I do not think Ephia's Well and her politics need be so cruel nor competitive and secondly, I do not think the current tendencies of the Primaries are right examples to set and follow.

The goal of every institution promoting the part each citizen plays; that is to say, democracy, the power of an elective system, should be representation and participation. The Leagues, and Ephia's Well, would more than have the wherewithal to bring her to heights never known before if they instead of argued and sabotaged one another, debated and learned from one another.

As I wrote in previous texts of mine, I believe Ephia's Well and her government are lodged into a revolving cycle of Sabotage, in that opposing and successful governments will often simply overturn their predecessor's efforts, which are not only efforts of that Legate and his League, but the people as a whole. It is not Progress we see, it is Sabotage, and once we open our eyes to this fact, we may begin the steps towards True Progress.

I hope you enjoy this treatise on our Leagues and Politick, and may it compel you to ponder. Mind over matter.

Chapter I
The Only Merit

The Leagues are fundamentals of our society, that which pull and tug our politics into the directions its proprietors seek for it. It is a wonderous idea that has compelled many to join their ranks and fly their banner.

The League of Purple, in its quaint yet familiar love of Ephia's Well. Their belief of crown & city, unity & strength is respectable. Indeed, the merit of conservatism and loyalty to a larger power is important for our very survival. We are yet budding, though many do not realize that and instead lobby for our very destruction, unknowingly. Thus it is the Sultan's league may well be our compass in matters of reminder and tradition.

The League of Gold would say they invented the very term. Merit, that is. While many among this League could be considered obligarchs who care only for dinar and one's ability (Merit) to earn that dinar, they are also the home of many bright thinkers and moderate minds with eyes on the prosperous future of our city. Not only that, but they often bear the very craftsmen and tinkerers worthy of accomplishing such. Thus the Golds are respected for their aptitude in many a thing, and it is this scholar's belief it is the League of Gold that ought to be advisors in all manner of government economics and our growing mercantile enterprise.

My own affiliation, the League of White are bound by camaraderie. A charming thing, and even if one fails, I never feel as if it was for naught. There is hope aplenty and to spare in these halls and I am fond of my memories within it so far. A gift and a curse both, as it attracts men like myself; soft hearts, and a deep care for the downtrodden, those who suffer. As I am reminded of the most sorrowful things, I must say there is more to impoverishment than one's opportunities or access to wealth. It is a sickness some have been afflicted, a sickness that tugs at their mind and ceases their diligence in tow. I am also reminded that with the vast expenses of past and prior elections, the amount of good we could have done for Ephia's Well.

This is humility. To speak good of your compatriots, no matter if your views differ, is to speak good of a rival who you shall learn or they shall learn. It would please me ever. for a Temple stands here for B'aara, so too the Twins and now Izdu.

For any ambitious plan to change the very threads of our city, you must remember ten years it has bore the Voice; so expect to put in the effort of ten or more. This does not mean that things cannot be done before then; I'm sure in that decade, small chips were made in the stone of hope.

But if all we do as a society, if all we do with this opportunity given to us and not to many others; if all we do is uproot each other rather than uplift, thus contributing to this Cycle of Sabotage, and not the Cycle of Progress we think it may be; then that is not leading us anywhere, and sooner or later Ephia's Well may be starved of new arrivals all together and left with a missed opportunity that they at first scorned.

Chapter II
How Rivalries Build Respect

I mentioned the lack of need for competition but I never claimed competition is not healthy, especially when the discussion or subject is fruitful. Though I am advocating for increased cooperation between the Leagues to mirror that of the allied nature our city, building upon a very important fundamental of its structure, the Accords.

We must encourage consistency in all things related to the vote, so a more accurate analysis of the Asterabadian Experiment may be detailed and studied. So if we are to put institutional powers into the hands of the Accord, so too must we place a form of united committee amongst the three Leagues, so that their duties if not aspiring to be Legate, are great and many, varied as well.

Through forced cooperation, with time it shall be Gods willing. Examples will be set and delegates may be found all over the city from both League and Accord, taking part in Assembly and the future of Ephia's Well in all manner of things and positions. Trade, diplomacy, civic service, policing, religion; things of that nature, that which shall therein be the duties of the Worthy and Willing.

So, respect is born between rivals, and yet a city thrives. A healthy competition of opposing views but not opposing interests, for fie on the Leaguesman who decrees that his interest is not the betterment of Ephia's Well, and so between all three Leagues is a shared interest to start.

Chapter III

The Committee of Leagues

Through discussion with bright and brilliant minds I have begun to respect most dearly over the last two weeks, I am convinced that though the Voiced system has its flaws, what it means to accomplish and the efficiency it provides is not only necessary but utterly mirrors what should be the priority of all Ephians; presenting daring and forward thinking leaders among Ephia's Well, who will go on to be a Voice for the Voiceless and pursue means and posts of service and contribution that not only include participation in our politick as Legate or Leaguesman but into the welfare and prosperity of our city itself.

In these discussions, a common critique is found; that there is no lack of shared opinion upon the mislike of those Voiced whom have expended their resources in acquiring privileges, yet their engagement with these benefits is conspicuously null. The sole testament to their influence upon our city is a most disconcerting inertia.

Thus it is my wish that the Leagues unite in spite of their animosities towards each other and put their defying ideas to test against those rivals and colleagues, for no single idea is perfect, but it may be considered ideal by a combined agreement of those participants. So six ideas may become three, then two, then finally the one idea that make note of the merits in three opposing Leagues, who have selflessly set aside their competing and politick to think for once of their city's prosperity and not their personal gain.

So a committee should be established, with a representative from each League who will be their guiding hand in making firm and iron their principles and ideals. Then together, though bicker they might over the years of its budding existence, this council of forward thinkers might put together their clay and build something wonderful.

As a Lilyman myself, I daringly wish to proclaim that I should rather ensure a slice of pie for all than wish the poorest of us the job he may easily procure in a day. Ephia's Well is a city of opportunities, and many downtrodden refugees newly arrived myself included have made something of ourselves, so it is not cruel to wonder why such so difficult for the many homeless and hungry among us.

That question is not a question of homes that will still need dinar to be paid for, it is not a question for shelters that will fill and never empty, it is not a question for the hard-working Ephians who have rose from nothing to something and aspiring ever for more, and whom cares for his fellow, and though too for the lowly man, takes pity for he also asks himself this question. "What is so difficult?"

This committee of Leaguesmen who do not agree might hold weekly or monthly meetings, and communicate shared ideas for proposal in Assembly. They may perhaps see merit in a Voiceless and uplift them, though not first without impression. It should be the Gods given duty of this council to keep their eye out for the so mentioned future leaders of our city and through combined funds ensure their Voice is sponsored and insurances made that they shall be forthwright in their own, newfounded duties thanks to the generosity of what one could easily call the pioneers of Ephia's Well. We want to be builders, victors, heroes and prosperous folk, and that can only be accomplished if all Ephians agree, for greater the number, greater the chances of success.

That is True Progress. It is my firm belief this alone would relieve Ephia's Well of its stagnancy, of its Age of Sabotage in politick. To reiterate, it must be our priority to encourage representation and participation in our government and our city. It is the unfortunate truth that the naysayers, some of them, are correct. Equality as some dream it and wish it cannot ever be truly accomplished, but we might do one better in my opinion. Equity is a much stronger term, and it means much more; it is honest, and that ought to be what Ephians represent.

Diligent, honest labor; in all things. Battle, academia, economics, philosophies, ideas. A city of ideas, and the ones who thought them, and the pioneers who shall build them. That is Ephia's Well, and it is the Ephia's Well I should hope all to wish and want for us all.

Closing Statement
Individuality in Leagues

I have glimpsed over this topic in this communique few and far but I should like to close it with elaboration. It is my belief that among all three Leagues, as proven by my own witnessed experiences with fair patrons in the city and discussion, there are minds that think alike.

While some may argue those minds would be better suited for other Leagues, it is my own argument that these trends should instead be encouraged, and that in the above mentioned committee, those like-minded Leaguesmen form their own cliques of thought.

In doing so, their ideas that are reckoned to be similar by mere logic of their like-minded principles, shall be sharper than before and more refined. A proper presentation, and thus closer to the successful enactment of such policy. Persons of their nature shall be the future of the very core philosophy discussed in this communique, as their public show of friendship and cooperation will set in stone examples of inspiring partnership. An alliance of progress.

Thank you for reading and I hope to meet you all soon, those curious faces I have yet to meet, whom read these words now and find themselves compelled to question.

B.H.
How long, Catiline, will you continue to abuse our patience?