To the War Council and Legates

Started by Walrus Warwagon, June 04, 2024, 06:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walrus Warwagon

From Cogsworth Clockhand, the clockmaker, engineer, scholar of arcane sciences.

I do not like introductory parts, so it will be brief. I was approached by Vizier Arymathras, who has requested my expertise for the task of leveling an orc-occupied city, by creating a weapon to be utilized with Ironbarge.

Introduction done. The explanatory part begins.

I dismissed the fire - clay architecture of the desert burns poorly, and so do orcs.
I dismissed lightning - it would require to fill the air with conductive material - not plausible.
I dismissed cannons - targeted, requiring constant maintenance, giving enemy time to react or relocate.
It should be one swift, terrifying, glorious blast.

I present to you The Star Bomba:

At the core of this project is the Shimmering Tear—a condensation of the purest magical energy, existing anomalously in solid form. This core will serve as the heart of our weapon.

The Shimmering Tear, usually found in minuscule shards, possesses an unparalleled density of magical power. I reasonably believe the true potential of this arcane crystal lies in its ability to be compressed and forced into a state of critical mass, releasing an explosive force unlike any known in our realm.

The Core:

Specimens of the Shimmering Tears of required density and size are not naturally discovered, or well hidden in deepest treasuries.

This is why I came up with the process of artificial saturation, or enrichment. It would require to secure a dozen crates of baublium from Tlonsiyya. A dangerous process, and a double-ritual:
    Evocative of the Fount of Power, channel of energy into the Tear.
    Abjurative of the Sealing, stabilizing core to the immense density of energy, allowing it to maintain the solid form.

Double rituals are exceptionally difficult, and I only propose such being highly advanced in both of these disciplines.

The Mechanism:

Around the core, in a sphere, we shall construct a series of smaller explosive charges. Upon simultaneous detonation they will apply immense, simultaneous pressure upon the Tear.

Their combined force will compress the Shimmering Tear core further, pushing it beyond its abjuratively-secured stability. This forced compression will drive the Tear to reach a critical mass, at which point it will unleash a catastrophic release of magical energy.

The Plan:

Securing the Baublium: Deal must be achieved to this end and shipment delivered.
    Acquisition of the Core: Ritual will require assistance of our best available arcanists. Risky.
    Engineering the Compression System: I am able to construct the sub-charge bombs, shells could be commissioned from metal smiths. Not a difficult step.
    Detonation and Safety: The Star Bomba is dropped on the city from the potentially safer height. Still, I suggest wiring the vessel to return unmanned, and having a conjurer to teleport us away.

Expected Outcome:

Once the Shimmering Tear reaches critical mass, the resulting explosion will be an unprecedented burst of pure magical destruction. The energy released will be sufficient to obliterate the orc-occupied city, reducing it to nothing more than a memory.

Aside of government covering the material expense, I would expect a payment for my expertise and role in the creation of this weapon, according to involved risks, be it monetary reward, or a position of Palatial Engineer. This could be discussed further depending on your conclusion in regard of the weapon.
Live and drink.

Walrus Warwagon

[Copies of letters are sent to Legate's offices, although name of a weapon is changed...]

Walrus Warwagon

I resend this letter, requesting urgency in the answer. Enemy activity grows closer. To slow them down we need to destroy their morale, and I propose a way to get rid of thousands of them in an instant, while they are clustered together.

If you cannot allocate a supervisor for the project, then make me a Second of the seat of Engineering.

Cogsworth Clockhand

Ziya

Walrus Warwagon

War council. Legates.

Regretfully, I have to inform you that we, as a settlement, currently cannot afford this project both in economy and infrastructure - it's too advanced compared for our production capacity to handle.

I re-ran the calculation, and meticulously rigidified the mathematical framework behind the critical mass theory, confirming that it is solid, and on paper it works perfectly.
However, calculations indicate that we lack facilities capable of supporting such a ritual within permissible deviations and with permissible energy leakage.

Keep this project in mind for the future, but for now I will move on to less destructive and more accessible types of research.

- Cogsworth Clockhand